Saturday, September 26, 2009

My Week in a Nutshell


This has been over all a great week. I've been a little stressed because I don't have good hours for work next week and I worry I will fall behind on my classes. So far it looks like I'll get all A's as long as I keep it up. Other than school, I've spent a lot of time this week in grocery stores and trying out new and old, but not forgotten fitness routines.

For fun this week I have been checking out all the local whole food and organic grocery stores. It's gotten to the point where our friends from England say every time I come home I have food with me. Yeah I'm a dork, but since I don't have a lot of money and I love eating right, organic food is a major treat for me. I try to keep it around one food item a week that can be my go-to meal, enjoy the crap out of it, then move on to something new the next week. I would love to eat all organic, but it is expensive so I have to compromise the best I can. And since I'm a major fan of food and crave like I'm PMSing 24/7 it's a good way to satisfy those urges.

I'm happy to see these markets picking up. It seems as if I new a store opens every 6 months or so. It's wonderful to have options, not to mention a little competition so the prices aren't as steep. I'm am a little disappointed that there is only one on my neck of the woods, and it's not even the the healthy eater's mecca like the Whole Foods Market. Luckily on the other side of the river there is a Whole Foods Market with a Trader Joe's, World Market, and Farmer's Market all withing walking distance of each other. I can tolerate the commute for that.

But seriously folks, I encourage you to get excited about food and love your body. I know organic is expensive, but make an effort to try and fit some items in to make the best impact you can (plus they tend to be lower in calories). Try and stick with the staples, just meat, animal products, or simply cereal. Every little bit counts. You don't need to become an Eco-Warrior to make a difference.

Other than that I've been getting really excited about my change of major and I'm planning to get certified as a personal trainer in the spring. The cost is quite steep, but it's worth it, and since I might be able to get some type of school credit for it my parents want to try and help me out financially the best they can. I'm so lucky for how supportive they are. I just can't get stuck in the aquatics niche. I love the water and I love teaching swim, but if I teach I prefer to work with special needs children and the facility I work at simply doesn't cater to them. I need to branch out and learn other skills that can assist me in attaining my goals.

photo by: Abhay Singh check out the link!

No comments:

Post a Comment