Thursday, October 1, 2009

No One is Invincible






























Many people take for granted their youth, genes, etc, for their health and physical prowess. We are not invincible. People age, contract illness, etc. While some may not have to "work" to maintain the body that houses them, others see it as a constant battle. Yours Truly included.

At the same time however I remember what it was like to feel that I was invincible. Then it all went away. After my foot surgery it was a constant struggle to get back to my peak condition, and I still haven't gotten there.

I had never been out of shape before. I didn't know the struggle, the pain, the utter stiffness of getting in shape. Since I could walk I played soccer, and since I entered school I participated in a sport every season. Basketball, Track, Volleyball, Soccer, Swimming, etc, I didn't know what it meant to work to be in shape.

Yes, I was working on my health and fitness everyday, but I didn't know the challenge of getting from point A to point B. I used to be 5'8" at 123 lbs. and could squat as high as 310 lbs. Now I'm 5'8 and 138 lbs. Down from 145. It has been a struggle, and while not at all enjoyable, it has been immensely rewarding.

Not everyone has been as lucky as myself. Many people weren't raised with a passion for physical activity, but had to find it on their own. Many people are limited to what they can do. That being said, do not make excuses. Work with what you have, and push yourself to overcome it, to bring mind over matter. If you are willing to put the effort forth and you want to look good, feel good, and be healthy it will happen.

Be resourceful. Don't be afraid to ask questions. And more importantly try new things. The world of health and fitness is vast, there is something out there for everyone all you need to do is look. There are people out there who's sole purpose in life is to help you find a way to get healthy that is specific to you. And if you really don't feel comfortable taking that first step feel free to send me any questions you may have and I will answer to the best of my ability or find someone who is more informed on the subject than I am to help you out.

photo by: Dragon-Kiss

No comments:

Post a Comment